Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Why I'm obsessed with #fitpregnancy




I started this post 2 weeks post-partum with Revel and I’m now 34.5 weeks with #2. I was so passionate about a #fitpregnancy and once I realized how much it paid off in labor and recovery, I had to get my thoughts down. I'm sick and tired of being made to feel like I'm doing something dangerous. So resuming those same thoughts, here goes:

The best advice I got from my amazing midwife Kate Hartwell, owner of Concord Birth Center was, "LABOR IS THE HARDEST WORKOUT AND MOST PHYSICALLY EXHAUSTING THING YOU WILL EVER DO. TRAIN FOR IT." Can you imagine signing up for a marathon and never doing a 5k? That would be stupid right? So why do we subject ourselves to possible hours of painful, active, PHYSICAL labor but we’re told to do nothing to prep for it?

Pregnancy and birth is EMPOWERING. Our bodies are AMAZING and very capable of hard things. Literally created for childbirth. If you commit to getting and staying active, there is no reason to give up your routine. Most doctors who advise against exercise/raising heart rate are incredibly old school. It is recommended to get 30 minutes of heart pumping exercise in most days of the week, pregnant or not. An active pregnancy is proven to: reduce risk of perineum tearing, speed labor and delivery, ease constipation, decrease back pain, lower blood pressure, improve flexibility, lower risk of gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia, improve healing time, and reduce stress and depression-which in itself prevents all sorts of problems. I don’t know about you, but tearing perineum and stitches down yonder ain’t worth skipping a workout for.


I have had my fair share of comments like, “Are you sure that’s healthy? Why don’t you just relax and kick your feet up? Isn’t that hurting the baby? Aren’t you tired?” The more I posted videos from Zumba I think people realized what’s truly possible, safe, and healthy.  Check out my Baby Mama dance at 36 weeks here

I knew it was okay because #1 nothing tunes you into your own body like growing another human inside of it, #2 all the medical professionals I’d ever seen encouraged it, and #3 I watched plenty of other moms do it. I’ve been lucky enough to have amazing fit moms as inspiration while instructing. They were happy, energetic, and healthy for all 40 weeks. They bounced back so quickly, even from c-sections. I always thought "OMG-I hope I can do that." I peruse instagram constantly and gain inspiration from all those on a #fitpregnancy journey. The Facebook group “Active Pregnancy” is filled with moms who I wish were my neighbors.

If you do not exercise regularly you may suffer from the following symptoms: exhaustion, depression, insomnia, joint pain and swelling, high blood pressure, and just feelings of crappy all over. Now throw in growing a child to a tired body and you might be downright miserable for 40 weeks. Pregnancy makes you feel tired, awkward, fat, out of balance, and stiff. Exercise makes you feel fit, confident, energized, and flexible. Why not seek those feelings? Society has taught us that pregnancy is a death sentence and birth is supposed to be surgery, and that the second we become pregnant we are suddenly incapable of moving. I have watched so many women suffer through pregnancy and not enjoy a single part of their changing, beautiful, capable bodies. My heart hurts for them.

We should not be made to feel like crap when we already feel awkward enough. Before I switched to out of hospital midwives, one nurse (I chose to never see again) told me around 20 weeks that my BMI was too high and "maybe workout more"? I looked at Alex and laughed and said "Haha, OH, is once or twice a day not enough?" I probably missed 5 workouts total in 2016. I was beyond motivated to show her that I was healthy regardless of that damn BMI chart. I cried after that appointment though. Hard. We didn't get bagels with extra cream cheese like we always did after my checkups. Thankfully my workouts reminded me that regardless of the scale number, I was still healthy. If you’ve struggled like I have with weight for much of your life, it is incredibly difficult to see those numbers rise again while your body changes ever so awkwardly. It’s hard to control. Some people gain 10 lbs and don’t exercise. Some gain 60 while sweating their butts off. I gained 42 with Revel. We can’t control it. But we can control how strong we are.

The real reason I am so passionate about it now is because Revel’s birth was surreal. I knew exercise helped my pregnancy, but I couldn't believe how much it helped in birth and recovery. Yes it was painful but NOTHING like the movies, and the tub was truly nature’s epidural/ #aquadural. My midwife told me, “It's been a long day. You’re going to be exhausted. Rely on your athleticism to get you through tonight.” That word, athleticism, applied to me at 229 lbs of bulging belly and swollen legs, and I felt so empowered. I was in active labor for all of 4 hours, home 10 hours after delivery on my couch, and doing light workouts at home a week later. Back in the gym two weeks after that. I just want the world to know that it is SAFE, encouraged by the medical community, and WORTH EVERY alarm clock wake up for the gym. Go for it ladies. I am happy to help you along the way and help you get started and stay committed. Email me any questions at all at CFBMoves@gmail.com. I am a certified group fitness trainer with perinatal specialization. 



The moment it's all worth it. 



It took 11 slow and steady months to get back to my actual pre-pregnancy weight while nursing and doing Weight Watchers-click here to join and get a free month! But my body bounced back quickly. This is the day before Revel was born and 23 days after.


 28 weeks with #2 out hiking and enjoying some fresh air with Rev!


Squats are your friend.


Fresh air is your friend too



2 comments:

  1. So awesome! I wish I knew you when I was having babies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an incredible example and witness to women and moms!!! I hope when I'm pregnant with #2 you’ll be helping me too!❤️

    ReplyDelete